Wednesday, October 31, 2012

NaNoWriMo

Howdy, ya'll!

Hmmm, I must like Wednesdays. o.0

So, I've decided to take the NaNoWriMo challenge: write a novel (50,000 words) in a month (http://www.nanowrimo.org/en)\. I've heard about it before from my good friend Camille (http://thinkuponthesethings.blogspot.com/). She did it back in 2010. . .and finished!! Yay! Congrats, girly. ^_^
My problem is that I'm not sure what story plot to do. I've come up with quite a few. Yesterday, I went through every single piece of paper I had hidden and stashed in my room . . .and my closet *shudders* It was kind of a mixed project of organizing college info/searching for and organizing my old stories and plot ideas/just plain throwing out junk. It was most enlightening. But during the search, I was successful in finding all of my old story plot ideas. And you know how it goes: *pulls out piece of paper from the pile and scans* "Ooo! This could be a really good story for NaNo!" *Stares blankly at the wall, dreaming up what could be the rest of the plot* *Sees another paper with story-writing on it* [you know what I mean; we all have a certain way we write out ideas, whether it's scribbling, chicken-scratch, or our best calligraphy (which my sister does)] "How about THIS one??!"--And so on and so forth. Until now, I have at least three *developed* ideas, but only one month to do one of them. And I'm supposed to start tomorrow. For the past two days, I've gone to bed thinking about my predicament, woke up thinking about my predicament, and pondered it all the rest of the day; no dreaming about it, though (I dreamed that I was in a contest in which I had to sing Taylor Swift's "Never Getting Back Together"-song o.0 ).
I guess I'm just posting to obey rule number 3.5 in the welcome-message I got after registering on the NaNo-site (I can be a stickler for rules): Tell everyone you know that you are writing a novel in a month. There's nothing like public humiliation to motivate you when you want to give up. This is going to be one of the hardest things for me to do. If I think I'm going to attempt to do something incredible, I don't usually tell people, in case I fail. Who wants to look like a fool? The other hard thing for me to do is to tell my "inner editor" to take a hike--I'm supposed to post the rough-draft of my story. Scary thought. O.O But I can see what the benefits would be when telling people about my dream to write a novel in a month. So cheer me on! And cheer Camille on! (She's doing it again this year.) You go, girl! I'll try to post every once in a while; maybe a word-count or excerpt from my "novel" (but at least now I have a good excuse for when I don't, right? 1,667 words a day is a lot. . .).
Come back for more later this month!

~Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks so much for commenting! Comments to me are like opening presents on Christmas. ^.^ If you ask a question, I will answer you on your own blog; but do not dispair -- if you don't HAVE a blog, I will reply to your comment right here. So be sure to check back if you were looking for an answer. :)